sewing saturday no. 7.. a finished liberty print jumper!
I've finished my first dress, you guys! What do you think?
The final steps of the jumper included..
Sewing the buttonholes. My machine has a buttonhole function which made the job ridiculously easy. I fit the button into the buttonhole foot (when the button is fitted into the foot, it automatically measures what size hole you need for the button), attached the foot to my machine, pulled the buttonhole lever down, and sewed the buttonhole on the right part of the strap.
Sewing the zipper. I switched to the zipper foot, lined the zipper up with the pressed edge in the back, and sewed near the coil.
Attaching rick rack to the pockets and bodice.
I also sewed buttons onto the bodice, sewed the straps to the back of the bodice (originally, the straps were supposed to be crisscrossed in the back, but they weren't long enough), and finished the hem of the skirt. I decided against the ruffle, although those pieces are still all cut out, so I can always add it later on.
And here is the finished product!
Overall, I feel really good about the jumper. I made some mistakes (like adding the shoulder straps after I added the bodice facing!) and didn't always stitch in straight lines.. but for my first project, I think it turned out well. I honestly can't wait to dive into my next sewing pattern. I've got one week to finish this dress, so no procrastination this time around!
Mule Days was filled with fried food and plaid goodness. Here are some photos from our day.
Happy weekend, all!