sewing saturday! kitchen curtains

IMG_2326

Some vintage fabric I'm using for a project today.. more info soon!

Once again, better late than never.. here is my Sewing Saturday post for today! This weekend, I sewed some simple cafe curtains for the window in our kitchen.

What you'll need for the project - fabric (I used vintage mint green rose fabric, about a yard), two curtain rods that will fit your window, and the usual - measuring tape, sharp scissors, pins, an iron, and matching thread. Also, a large surface for laying out your fabric is especially handy with this project, since you'll be doing some long measuring.

IMG_2133
IMG_2136
IMG_2148

To begin, I ironed out my fabric and hung the curtain rods. I hung the first rod at the top of the window and the second at the middle. I measured the window and then cut the fabric according to the measurements, cutting one strip of fabric to half the window's height and 1 1/2 to 2 times the window's length. The second piece (for the top of the window), I cut to about a quarter of the window's height and 1 1/2 to 2 times the window's length. Keep in mind, allow for anywhere from 1/4 to 5/8 inch seam allowance on all sides and two inches at the top for a curtain rod casing.

IMG_2153
IMG_2155
IMG_2163

Then, I finished the edges. I used my serger just because it was quicker. I serged the edge, then folded it inwards and sewed it shut (about a 1/4 inch hem). If you don't have a serger, you can use pinking shears or simply fold the edges in 1/4 inch, press, then fold them in again and sew. I then pressed two inches of fabric, wrong sides together, at the top of each curtain to form the casing.

IMG_2164
IMG_2168
IMG_2180

I sewed the two inch casing at the top and bottom, leaving the ends open. Once that was done, I slipped the curtains onto the rods and they were finished!

IMG_2253

This is a really simple project, but I did do one thing I regretted.. I wish I had given more length to each curtain so the gathering at the rods would be a little tighter. So - my advice is to cut twice the length of the window of fabric for each window, not just 1 1/2 times the length. Otherwise, I really like how they turned out! They're much better than the white blinds we had hanging before.

If you sew these, send me a photo of your finished product! I'd love to see them. Hope you all had a great weekend!