father's day winery and blog tags!
Photos by Neil (except for the one Neil is in, of course - which was taken by my wonderful Mom)
Romper - H&M
Straw hat, feather earrings - Forever21
Purse - Urban Outfitters
Shoes - 70s, thrifted
Yesterday, my parents, Neil and I took a trip to Arrington Vineyards for Father's Day! Arrington is a beautiful, somewhat trendy winery near Nashville. We had a great time wining it up, eating cheese, admiring the landscape. Tennessee has wonderful rolling hills and is full of vivid greens at this time of year, and Arrington is a great place to admire Tennessee. It's atop a hill, looking out on dozens of nearby farms, and, of course, Arrington's own vineyards! The picture at the top is of me, my Dad, and Neil. And look at that massive barrel! 600 and some gallons. Dad wanted to take it home with him.
Rhi tagged me a few weeks ago with these questions.. so here they are!
1. What is your current obsession? Would it be predictable to say blogging? I love reading everyone's blogs. Every day, I'm inspired by someone and something new.
2. What is your weirdest obsession? It has got to be old MS-DOS computer games. The Gabriel Knight series, King's Quest, Quest for Glory.. I loved those games as a child. I've moved onto other games, but those still have such a strong influence on me. I am truly a computer nerd. Text-based games, I was into those, too. Right now, I'm into games having to do with conspiracy theories (another nerdy passion of mine) - Deus Ex and System Shock.
3. What do you see outside your window? My parent's hummingbird feeder, rose bushes, and a cute salamander now and then!
4. What is your favorite color? My favorite color of the moment is seafoam green. I would buy all of my clothes (and appliances, honestly!) in that color if I could.
5. What is your weakness? My own personal weakness? Maybe laziness. Fashion-wise right now, little mini summer dresses that I find on Etsy, especially this one by Lea's Vintage!
6. What animal would you be? I would say a wolf or a fox, just because I loved them as a kid. If I could choose a mythological creature, it'd be a dragon, hands down.
7. What would you like to learn how to do? Screen print! I have the materials.. I bought a beautiful screen printing kit from Urban Outfitters and the book Print Liberation, so now there is nothing stopping me but myself. My kit just sits by my sewing machine looking intimidating.
8. What would you want to never happen in life? To lose interest and PASSION in life. It's my passion for things that gives me an optimistic outlook - that makes every day a new, exciting experience.
9. What is on your bedside table? Neil's Alinea cookbook and my copy of Dracula (I read that right before bed and usually Neil is asleep by then.. most of the time, I scare myself so much I have to wake him up! What a book. No wonder it's a classic).
10. What's the last thing you bought? My floppy Forever21 straw hat! In the above pictures. I'm in love.
11. What do you think about the person who tagged you? My sister Rhi tagged me, and I look up to her and love her so much. She pursued what she was passionate about and succeeded, and now she inspires other girls to do the same. She is beautiful, humble, creative, and entirely her own person.
12. What was your favorite children's book? Redwall! The entire series made my 4th-6th grade years bearable.
13. Who do you want to meet in person? Dead or alive? Dead, Orson Welles, Joseph Campbell, Ernest Hemingway, CS Lewis.. Alive, Umberto Eco (he wrote Foucault's Pendulum and the Name of the Rose - two of my favorite books), the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' Karen O, Jack White.
14. What did you want to be as a child? Probably a singer in musicals (like Les Miserables!), or a knight. I read a lot of books that had to do with the medieval times as a kid, so if I could have transported myself into that time period, I probably would have been happy being a vagabond. Wow, I'm really a dork.
15. What did you dream about last night? I gave birth. It was a nightmare. I'm about ten years away from being ready for children. But the baby was cute!
16. Which do you prefer, day or night? Night! I usually stay up til 2am and sleep in til 10. Nighttime is when I work best.
17. What's your favorite piece of clothing in your closet? Probably this dress.. it's a 1950s formal that I bought in high school. I was able to wear it to the opera when we went on our Paris honeymoon in March! I felt like Grace Kelly. Honestly, most of the time, I'm too afraid to wear it. I never want to damage it!
18. What's your plan for tomorrow? I'm going to be in a commercial for Rippavilla Plantation! I'll be starring as.. a tourist. Hopefully, no speaking involved. I'm trying to decide what to wear, something Southern belle-ish.
19. What would you like to get your hands on right now? The new Harry Potter, coming out in July! And Beatles Rock Band coming out in September! And Bioshock 2, coming out that month too!
20. What is your must-have of the moment? These Urban Outfitters shoes. I'm obsessed, and they just went on sale! I'm horribly lacking in the shoes department (I don't own any t-straps or any good summer sandals).. I have great close-toed shoes, but they aren't very summer friendly.
21. What's your favorite tea flavor? Tea that tastes like coffee! It honestly exists at Teavanna. I am all about coffee and not so much about tea.
22. If you could go anywhere in the world right now, where would you go? That's tough. Everywhere. But if I had to decide, it would be Istanbul. The colors and the mixture of East and West.. the fantastic, gruesome history of that area. I would talk to pheasant women about their superstitions and legends and lives.